Appearing Before Him
Share This Devotional
As we watch the news and observe the lawlessness in the world today, wars and rumors of wars, I believe we also see a great awakening rising in churches and colleges around the nation, with thousands being saved and baptized.
I feel the awakenings and revivals we are beginning to see signal something greater on the horizon. Many Scriptures provide details of the end times leading up to Christ’s return. When we study these, we see we are told to be aware, prepare, and dressed in readiness.
What does readiness mean to you? To me, it covers too many areas for one devotional, but in general, I believe it means to be living as Jesus Christ has shown us to live. I have proven to myself that I can do nothing on my own, and the Lord reminds me that He is working in me.
Here are a few foundational Scriptures I find helpful to guide me along the way:
Ready and Expecting Jesus’ Return
- Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps lit. Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks. (Luke 12:35-36 NASB1995)
- Be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God. (2 Peter 3:11-12)
Living in Peace
- Be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless. (2 Peter 3:14)
Priorities in Place
- Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. (Matthew 6:33)
- Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you. (Colossians 3:16)
Close Relationship With the Lord
- “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.” (John 15:4)
I am discovering, and I hope you are too, that abiding in Christ, keeping His word in my heart and being diligent to obey Him allows the Holy Spirit to produce the character of godliness and the Shalom peace of Christ. Like all of us, I rely on the work of the Holy Spirit in me to develop “holy conduct and godliness.” We can be holy because of Christ, the Holy One living in us.
For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:13)
Lord, with expectant hearts we submit ourselves to You today. Give us the hunger to diligently seek You first and hide Your word in our hearts. Through your compassion and grace we ask You to make us people of holy conduct and godliness. We want to be found in peace at Your blessed return.”
Scripture is quoted from the New American Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1960, 1971, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. All rights reserved.
Share This Devotional