Skip to main content

Acting on a Mustard Seed of Faith

Share This article

“I began to have coughing spells, uncontrollable coughing spells, and they would come several times a day,” says Maxine Ramey. “It took about an hour every night to cough and kind of get cleared up enough so that I could settle and go to sleep. There were times that I would cough up blood and, you know, that was pretty scary.”

Maxine continued, “It was troubling, so I went to ENTs, several doctors to try to find out what's causing the coughing. I finally did wind up at the pulmonologist. Her diagnosis for me was bronchiectasis, which is a condition in your lungs. And it just builds up in your passageways and causes a great deal of coughing. And she said, 'I'll just tell you there's no cure.'”

“There were some tears, but I also was filled with gratitude toward that doctor for giving me a diagnosis because I had gone for several years just wondering what's wrong. And I said, ‘Well, I want to tell you that I believe in healing and I believe and trust that the Lord will heal me from this.’ I just have a firm faith that God's Word is true, that His promises are for us today, His healing promises.”

“I used the nebulizer twice a day. It's a machine that is supposed to help you be able to clear out some of that. My husband hated that nebulizer machine so badly. And he said, ‘We are not going to have this. This is not the rest of your life. God is going to heal you.’ So he prayed so hard for me. He's such a selfless person. And when something's out of his control, you know, it's hard for him. But he took it to the Lord. He prayed fervently.”

While Maxine waited on God, she said, “There's a scripture in Exodus that says, 'Worship the Lord your God, and I will bless your food and your water, and I will take sickness away from the midst of you.' So after about a year of using the nebulizer machine, I just got down on my knees one day and determined to just worship the Lord. And I just worshiped for so long and I just had so much love in my heart for God. And I just poured that out on Him. And I just asked Him to honor my husband's prayer.”

To Maxine's delight, she recalled, “And at that moment, I just felt in my spirit, God's presence so strongly and His power. And I knew that I was healed. And I got up and went and told my husband, ‘I know that I'm healed.’ From that moment, I never had another coughing spell. And that has been over a year now. I laid down that night in the bed and went to sleep without one cough and I have not coughed one night since then.”

Having followed up with her doctor, Maxine said, “So I had a follow up appointment with my pulmonologist about a month after I was healed, and I was so excited to go back to her, and she listened intently and she was very happy. She listened to my lungs and they were clear. She said, ‘You sound great.’ And she said, ‘But I want to see you back in six months.’ She said, ‘If you continue to do this, well, then I'll agree that you're healed.’ In September, I went back and I said, ‘Guess what? I'm still healed.’ And she listened again to my lungs and she hugged me and she said, ‘I release you. You don't need me anymore!’ There's nothing that we can do to be worthy of healing. ‘It's not by might nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord.’ It's just trusting, worshiping, believing, laying it at the cross. Nothing we can do but to stand on His promises. And there's nothing more that we need to do.”

Share Your Story

Share This article

About The Author


Will Dawson is a Senior Producer for The 700 Club.