Alveda King Shares Her Favorite Recipes for Holiday Gatherings
Share This article
“For seven generations, members of the Williams King Family Legacy, the family of Martin Luther King, Sr. and his wife Alberta Williams King, have been preaching and cooking, providing ministry and hospitality in the midst of tragedy and triumph, trials and victories,” shares Alveda. Her cookbook. GG's Home for the Holidays Cookbook, is a collection of the memories of those times blended in with favorite holiday recipes inspired by family members and friends.
Often people ask what her uncle’s, Martin Luther King, favorite food was for family meals. She says, “He enjoyed fried chicken and collard greens.” Her dad, Reverend A.D. King, especially loved breakfast foods and her mom’s breakfast sandwiches. For Easter, Alveda shares some of her favorite recipes to help make your holiday gathering special:
• Lovely Rack of Lamb (p. 45 picture in book) This tasty recipe is easy to prepare with a five-minute Worcestershire sauce marinade before searing on each side and placing in the oven.
• GG’s Sauteed Garlicky Green Beans (p. 35 picture in book) An easy, but popular dish for your guests or family.
• “Angel Eggs” (p. 37 no picture in book, but there is a picture of her mom and video of her mom preparing eggs when you scan QR code in the book) This is a dish her mother, Dr. Naomi King, also known as “The Butterfly Queen” would prepare. As the First Lady of the church where her husband, Rev. A.D. King, would pastor she was often known as the “hostess with the mostess” for her hospitality and well-set tables.
• Leafy Salad w/ Berries or Tomatoes (p. 34 no picture in book) Alveda usually adds a salad with any meal. Salad greens come in many varieties. A popular choice is Arugula. “The secret to good salad is texture and color,” shares Alveda. You can add strawberries or tomatoes or whatever is in season.
• GG’s Quick & Tasty Tangy Salad Dressing (p. 64) An easy recipe you can usually make with what you have in your refrigerator.
• GG’s Yummy Gluten Free Holiday Cornbread Stuffing (p. 36 picture in book) This recipe is gluten free and a favorite with her family during the holidays.
• Rolls (not in book)
• Lemonade (not in book)
Alveda will DEMO the recipe below:
• Jan’s Delish Carrot Cake – (p. 56 picture in book) A simple and delicious dessert for the Easter holiday. She suggests serving this cake with ice cream or coffee.
She is the daughter of the late slain civil rights activist Rev. A. D. King (Alveda became an activist herself at the age of twelve when her dad took her to her first march in 1963) and the niece of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who was killed in 1968 by an assassin’s bullet. A.D. and Martin Luther King’s message to “love everybody and do the right thing” is what their families continue to try to do to follow in their footsteps. They preach the message of love and forgiveness.
Alveda is the guardian of the King Family Legacy. She oversees that the truths that have made the King family influential and prosperous are protected and continue to be shared. She highlights the King's core value of fighting for justice because it is the very essence of who they are. Fighting injustice started with Alveda’s grandfather who lobbied hard for black privileges while pastoring at their church. Alveda’s father promoted credit unions for his church members and encouraged people to further their education during the civil rights movement. She serves as Chair of the America First Policy Institute’s Center for the American Dream works to remind people of her uncle’s message, “There’s only one human race.”
Alveda is a Christian evangelist and founder of Speak for Life, and Alveda King Ministries. She is also an acclaimed author, Fox News Channel contributor, Fox Nation host (for a cooking show which came about as a result of her cooking demo on the 700 Club), NEWSMAX blog contributor, twice elected to GA State House, past presidential appointee, 2021 recipient of the Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award, and is a film and music industry veteran.
She also focuses on the evils of abortion and calls for the same civil rights for the unborn. Alveda explains, “Every human being must be afforded life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, from conception until natural death,” she continues, “This state of human-being includes family stability, good education, gainful financial security, good health, freedom to worship God, and freedom to respect the human estate of every person…This is the true meaning of human rights and human dignity.”
Alveda also strives to advance the Gospel of Jesus Christ through Alveda King Ministries. She works hard in fighting for the stability and foundation of the traditional family while promoting values and morals. She also offers tangible resources for families in need so they can live prosperously to their full potential. She explains, “We aim to educate through community events, mentoring programs, media campaigns scholarship awards, coalition-building Christian advocacy groups and other means of positive reinforcement to lead people to Christ in expectancy of life, family, hope and ‘agape love’ in the global community.”
VIDEO TRIBUTE TO HER FATHER
Alveda credits her dad with teaching her all about Jesus growing up. Recently, she made a video honoring her dad called Walk on Water: Walk On Water (Is That You) - Alveda King - YouTube.
EASTER HOLIDAY AND TRADITIONS
• Alveda’s family considers Easter season a time of "great hope." She quotes John 3:16, "For God so loved the world so that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."
"During Easter season at my house and when I attend church, we concentrate on victory, on hope, on how God has loved us so much and has not abandoned us," shares Alveda. Although they celebrate the holiday with the eggs and the pretty dresses she says, “It’s more important to remember why we celebrate Easter. It’s the time that Jesus made that sacrifice, and He was crucified and rose again." * Fox News, Alveda King Shares Heartfelt Message Ahead of Easter: It’s All About Love, by Maria Lencki (April 13, 2022). https://www.foxnews.com/media/alveda-king-shares-heartfelt-easter-message.
• The Easter season should always be a time of healing and renewal. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit" (Rom. 15:13). It is important for the joy of the Lord to shine through you despite your circumstances so you can show God's love. “If there is sadness, ask God to help you. Show everyone you see today that the Spirit of God is alive and well within you by presenting your joyful face to everyone you meet,” shares Alveda. Remember each day that God is good and take time to reflect on the sacrifice and gifts of Christ. "The Lord will bless his people with peace" (Ps. 29:11). *Easter Blessings in the Midst of the Storms by Alveda King (April 15, 2022) https://www.truthpr.com/easter-blessings-in-the-midst-of-the-storms-by-evangelist-alveda-king/.
Share This article