14 Bible Verses About Anxiety and Worry
Share This article
Years ago, a catchy little tune filled the airwaves, an island beat punctuated the lyrics, “Don’t worry; be happy.” While these words are easy to sing, they are more difficult to practice. World events, natural disasters, political uncertainties, financial difficulties, and fear often crowd our thoughts and feed anxiety.
Does Worry Accomplish Anything?
Many of us waste lots of time worrying about what might happen, but never does. Or we have the mistaken idea that worry somehow prevents what we fear from happening. Here's what the Bible says:
- "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" ( NLT)
- "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." ( NIV)
- "But make up your mind not to worry ahead of time about how to stand up for yourselves." ( NIRV)
Fear and Worry – Unhappy Twins
Fear is often the wind that fans the flames or worry. Like hand-holding twins, fear drags worry into our thoughts and actions, encouraging us to do some things and preventing us from doing others. Scripture provides insights into banishing fears and calming worry.
- "I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." ( NIV)
- "When I am afraid, I trust in you." ( NET)
- "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid." ( NLT)
Trusting God Instead of Worrying
- "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." ( NIV)
- "If God is for us, who can be against us?" ( NIV)
- "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." ( NIV)
- "Turn your worries over to the Lord. He will keep you going. He will never let godly people be shaken." ( NIRV)
Don't Worry, God Provides
- "I tell you not to worry about your life. Don’t worry about having something to eat, drink, or wear. Isn’t life more than food or clothing? Look at the birds in the sky! They don’t plant or harvest. They don’t even store grain in barns. Yet your Father in heaven takes care of them. Aren’t you worth more than birds?" ( CEV)
- "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." ( NIV)
Share This article