23 Bible Verses about Giving and Tithing
Share This article
Tithing is a command in the Old Testament and the New Testament.
- “One-tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain from the fields or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord and must be set apart to him as holy.” (NLT)
Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce.(NLT)
- “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.” (NLT)
We tithe to acknowledge that what we have belongs to God.
- The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him. (NLT)
- But who am I, and who are my people, that we could give anything to you? Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us! (NLT)
When we don’t tithe, we are stealing from God.
- “Why are you living in luxurious houses while my house lies in ruins? This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: Look at what’s happening to you! You have planted much but harvest little. You eat but are not satisfied. You drink but are still thirsty. You put on clothes but cannot keep warm. Your wages disappear as though you were putting them in pockets filled with holes!” (NLT)
We must give from a joyful and generous heart.
- Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have. (NLT)
We give out of our obedience, not our abundance.
- Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.” (NLT)
Tithing shows that we have our priorities in the right order.
- “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” (NLT)
We cannot let the love of money stand in the way of tithing.
- Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (NIV)
Obedience brings blessings.
- You will experience all these blessings if you obey the Lord your God: (NLT)
- Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.” (NASB)
Copyright © 2017 Edie Melson. Used by permission.
Share This article